top of page
  • AIM Team

State Treasurer Clint Zweifel warns Missourians of unclaimed property scam

Missourians should never pay to search for or claim their unclaimed property

From State Treasurer Clint Zweifel’s office

State Treasurer Clint Zweifel (ZWY-ful) is warning Missourians of an Unclaimed Property scam utilizing a letter purporting to be from the National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrators (NAUPA) and instructing the recipient to pay a fee in order to receive Unclaimed Property. While it is an existing organization of which Missouri is a member, NAUPA does not directly contact owners of Unclaimed Property, instead leaving that to member states.

“Unfortunately we have received word that Missourians are being targeted by this latest scam and I want to make sure that everyone knows—if you have Unclaimed Property in Missouri you can always receive it free of charge by working with my office,” Treasurer Zweifel said. “You will never be required to go through a third party to claim what I protect. If you have questions or need help claiming your Unclaimed Property, please email my office at”

Treasurer Zweifel is statutorily required to utilize the mail to notify owners of Unclaimed Property and posts examples of those mailings on the Treasurer’s website. Other communication may come in the form of emails or phone calls once a claim has been filed through Treasurer Zweifel’s office. If you have questions at any time about the legitimacy of a contact, please email

Treasurer Zweifel protects more than $929 million in Unclaimed Property in 5 million accounts. You can check for Unclaimed Property any time on Treasurer Zweifel’s website at to begin the claims process completely free of charge.

You may also check for Unclaimed Property outside of Missouri at, a website administered by NAUPA. It provides links to other states where you can also search free of charge.

If you believe you are a victim of this scam, please contact the Missouri Attorney General’s Consumer Protection hotline at 800-392-8222 or visit the website to file a complaint.

bottom of page